Follow by Email
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
How to add a new disk shelf to a Netapp filer ??
Assumption:- Filer has already one disk shelf connected this is the new one which has to be added and cabled.
Cables required:- Two SAS cables , Two ACP (CAT6 ETHERNET ) cables if any
1. Rack the shelf
2. Connect power cables & turn the shelf on (wait about 30 seconds)
3. On the front of the shelf, change the shelf id to something unique. (try and keep it sequential with the shelf that's already there)
DO NOT USE "00"
4. Wait about 45 seconds and then restart the shelf and make sure the new shelf ID came up.
4. SSH into both filers and do "options disk.auto_assign off"
5. Do a "storage show disk -p" on both controllers and copy the contents into a txt file and save it. (run this command again and make sure all your disks are still there)
6. Do a "options autosupport.doit "before shelf add"" on both controllers since i'm scared your doing this via community forums. ("before shelf add" is in quotes on the command)
5. Now for the fun part, take a SAS cable and plug one end into the
circle of the
shelf and plug it in the
square of the
6. Now take another SAS cable and plug one end into the
circle of the
shelf and plug it into the
square of the new shelf
7. assign your disks and don't forget to
turn back on disk auto assign
when you're done.
8. Run "storage show disk -p" and make sure all of your old disks are there.
(shelves at the end of a stack are always reversed, this is a special circumstance and you will not cable all shelves like this in the future.
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
October 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM
October 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Post Comments (Atom)